The gas pycnometer Quantachrome Pentapyc 5200e is used for measuring the specific density of powders, solids, and compacted materials (e.g. cements, sands, gravels, pastes, etc.). Modern gas pycnometers offer higher accuracy and reproducibility in comparison with a conventionally used liquid pycnometer.
Procedures for measurements using the gas pycnometer are standardized according to the following standards:
• STN EN 1097-7 Tests for mechanical and physical properties of aggregates. Part 7: Determination of the particle density of filler. Pycnometer method;
• STN EN ISO 18753 Fine ceramics (advanced ceramics, advanced technical ceramics) – Determination of absolute density of ceramic powders by pycnometry;
• STN EN ISO 2811-1 Paints and varnishes – Determination of density – Part 1: Pycnometer method;
• STN EN ISO 1183-3 Plastics. Methods for determining the density of non-cellular plastics. Part 3: Gas pycnometry method;
• STN ISO 8130-2 Coating powders. Part 2: Determination of density by gas comparison pycnometry (referee method);
• ASTM C188-17 Standard Test Method for Density of Hydraulic Cement;
• ASTM D5550-14 Standard Test Method for Specific Gravity of Soil Solids by Gas Pycnometer.